PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - any significant others here who can enlighten me about life 'over there'?
Old 17th Apr 2012, 19:13
SassyPilotsWife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So nice to see familiar faces...

So nice to see familiar faces err names on here come to the defense of living in the ME ! And rightfully so.

Ssaur.. I'm a wife, an American and a Paramedic. Let me give you top reason to move. Before I do, after reading ALL post, let me clarify something that you " heard" from a friend in regards to medical care here.

The nurses here are some of the best I've ever seen. They are patient, empathetic, NOT OVER WORKED, and actually listen to their patients. They are not forced to deliver a certain type of medical care based on a patients ability to pay/not pay. These are nurses who make less than half of what the pay in the US is, yet they deliver much superior care. As a patient who had to undergo major surgery here and being in the medical field myself, I watched them like a hawk! I waited for the opportunity to teach them critical techniques that I knew they were just not educated in. Instead, I learned from them. Boy could we use them in the US! They presented with professional and aseptic technique 24/7. They did not short cut. Even my IV's were changed out every 72 hours regardless of adequate perfusion or not. These girls have mad skills. With all that said though, alot of nurses here are from countries that don't get paid alot of money so hospitals and care providers here hire them for the lower pay. You can obtain a decent paying job here you will just need to do alot of networking.

Now.. as a pilots wife living here let me give you the pros and cons from MY perspective:

Life is peaceful. There are no car jackings, no high crime. There is not a drug problem here in epidemic proportions like the US, therefore, the lower crime rate.

You will gain an education that can't be taught at any university or college.

You will wind up with an extended family that includes all races, ages, nationalities and religions.

You will learn to drive defensively. Yes the driving here is a challenge. Much more than any major city in the US.

Women are treated with high regard here. That was one of my 1st major concerns when my husband was offered a job here. I can tell you it is quite the opposite. We get spoiled rotten ! Not only by our husbands who brought us here, but we don't have to wait in queue/line most of the time, but we have our own branches for banking, we can get our cars washed while we're simply picking up groceries. We are able to have domestic help at a fraction of what it cost in the US. That includes maid service, gardeners, drivers, pet sitters.

Going to a nail salon is like going to a full day spa. The women who work at these treat us like royalty. Matter of fact, most of the places you go to get your nails done are full day salons.

You are much safer here than in the US. Those who commit crimes are held to a much higher punishment, so they are less likely to commit them.

If you like to shop, you will have access to some of the finest shopping in the world.

For me, living away from other family has given my husband and I more time together. We have been living like newlyweds and we are having a blast. Of course our children are all adults with the youngest still in college. It was a rocky start and challenge but we are like 2 children in a new playground now.

You have the opportunity to see so much of the world for so much less. Living here and flying from here allow you to travel to other destinations in the world for alot less airfare, the ability to become friends who have homes in some of the best cities in the world that you would love to travel to.

You will become friends with alot more pilot wives which allow you to develop friendships with those same girls/guys who understand what your going thru.

You get to experience culture, foods, religions that you might not have had the opportunity to experience while living at home in the US where you may isolate yourself to a more local and confined network and neighborhood.

Getting anywhere is much more accessible via taxi and public transportation. Especially if moving from a more rural town outside a major city in the US.

Walking into any business where your addressed as " madam", being given personal service, not having to pump your own gas, having access to having clothes tailor made etc.. for pennies on the dollar really makes you appreciate living here so much more.

The cons:

Being away from family for long periods of time
Adjusting to receiving services in a timely fashion
Finding your favorite foods, toiletries can be a challenge.
Trying to explain to your family why you prefer living in the ME rather than next door to them back home in the US.

I hope this addresses some of the small things that you may have been wondering about. If you really want an unbiased opinion from other aviator wives, there is a pilot wives facebewk page that you can join. I've become friends with quite a bit of them and they have alot to offer to include blogs. One wife from DXB has a blog that is absolutely fascinating and she writes to include almost daily a challenge that most of us have had at one time or another.

One very large benefit to living in the UAE vs the US is that you can bypass so much red tape if you want to open a biz here or have a career with different opportunities. There is something for everyone here. Where else can you snow ski and water ski on the same day just minutes from each other ?

Please PM me anytime if you want to know more. Best of luck in your decision !