PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 17th Apr 2012, 17:52
red 7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Studi
we could bash heads on this all day,
But firstly, the change to the pay points was to embrace the change in the new retirement age, I for one see it as a minor concession to maintaining the bigger picture, also any new joiners know the payscale they will be joining so can make the choice,
the alternative you suggest would of meant all 3400 ba pilots taking a paycut for several years to embrace this change, the company did not ask for this, so where is the sense in offering it for future alleged unity?
I cannot see how you would of considered it myself.

secondly, I am pleased you at Gw have had such a good integretion, it sounds much like the eventual outcome of EOG at LGW who our now pretty much on parity with LHR, and also when the city flyer take over went through.

BUT< the point you miss is? EW and citiflyer were similer in as much as good strong going concerns,
BMI was all but bankrupt and would of been months ago if it were not for the injections of cash by IAG 15 million as agreed with LH,
hence LH making the current redundancies before IAG take over and continue reshaping.
No one in BA is looking for BMI to be 2nd class or treated in any way other than embracing new colleagues to the party,
And there is no issues with protected current commands or future commands for the bmi sfo's as the BMi slots become available.
But there is no desire on BA pilots part to open the door to a failing shorthaul operator to then walk into long haul commands.
Simple fact, again I think you use the alright jack scenario in the wrong place, we have worked hard for many years with BA/IAg to remain a profitable fluid workforce to avoid the excat scenario BMi pilots find themselves left in due mismanagement