PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic A330 precautionary evacuation at LGW
Old 17th Apr 2012, 15:12
theshed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who was fortunate enough to watch this incident unfold from a very prime viewing point in a less stressful pointy end. I think it's only fair to add a couple of points.

1. The crew from what I could see and hear conducted themselves very well. As i could hear on the RT the decision to evacuate was not taken lightly. The situation was controlled but because the fire chief could not confirm the presence of smoke or the absence of it due to the jet efflux the only option open for the crew (in my opinion) was to evacuate the aircraft.

2. I am not a A330 operator but as it is a ETOPS a/c i can only imagine that the holds must have a minimum time period they have been certified to contain a fire with minimal risk to pax. (I'm sure someone will know this)

3. I would like to congratulate both the crew on board the VS and also the entire LGW team for their reaction and for the hard work done on a very abnormal day. From the VS crew to the controllers to the fire teams to the guys driving the buses to have a major incident like that evacuate a 330 and have the airport open in what seamed to be around the 2 hour mark is a very big achievement and a very big learning day. I know I took alot onboard just watching it.