PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - £660
Thread: £660
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2012, 13:08
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry but I'm with KLM on this one but agreed they need to have someone prepared at least to make a statement.

The condition, which effects just 200 children in the world, has left the toddler unable to walk, talk or feed herself.

Her parents, Shane Barton, 23, and Jennifer Stermann, 26, raised £15,000 to send her to the Caribbean to undergo radical ‘Dolphin Therapy’ which has been proven to reduce the symptoms of the condition.
Well those two claims simply don't add up. You can't possibly have a condition with just 200 sufferers that has a treatment which has been tried and tested and peer reviewed in the usual scientific journals (the standard test any competent doctor, as opposed to journalist will apply to such a treatment).

She has defied the medics to make it to three and her parents hope the dolphin therapy could dramatically improve her life. Jennifer, who is 20 weeks pregnant with the couple’s second child, added: 'It’s not guaranteed that it will help, there’s just a chance.
I'm afraid this is what happens when emotions take over from rational thinking. We can do amazing things with modern medicine but there are still limits.

I would not wish this condition on any parent, but airlines have their policies about what is chargeable, I presume the fee is a reasonable reflection of the actual cost of such provision and not a Ryanair style price-gouge?

There are equally wide ranging conditions on the types of wheelchairs that an airline will take - you can't just whip out the discrimination whistle just because the airline doesn't carry you on the terms you naively expect.