PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 - Lemon?
Thread: F35 - Lemon?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2012, 10:15
Trojan1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure the USAF/USN/USMC/RAAF/RAN (and any other associated allies) would agree with that. In fact I am certain they would say politics and lack of will/commitment lost the war rather than inferior military capability. (Much the same as what is happening in Afghanistan today?)
DBTW,

While I agree with your assertions that the F-35 will be The best available fighter in production, and the best fit for the RAAF, I don't entirely agree with the above.

During my RMC edgo phase I studied two major land conflicts, one in Korea and the other in Laos. It was only study of course and I am not old enough to remember either conflict but one thing that stood out was the fact that enemy forces with only basic equipment, local knowledge, numbers and determination almost always prevailed. In Laos, even during the largest bombing campaign of the conflict; when B-52s and fast air were smashing advancing forces 24 hours a day, Invading Chinese were still able to construct five kilometers of road a day! Political will eventually evaporated of course, but the war was being lost anyway. What is victory in Afghanistan? Turning around 500+ years of conflict and imposing western ideals? We never had a chance and today's announcement was not really a surprise.

I hope we get a fighter that is good enough to scare our neighbours, as well as being flexible enough to actually deploy in credible numbers to support the rest of the ADF. With the Rhino we're halfway there. Now we just need to be able to move them to the fight.