PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2012, 10:14
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Foxtrot,
Thank you very much for the update so I assume the radome that was removed prior to these tests will be back when she comes out of this latest maintenance period?

I fully understand the reasons for installing test equipment and that coating of heat resistant paint. It can be argued that the paint was part and parcel of regular ship's maintenance and if that is the case then should it have been the normal paint used on all flight decks of STOVL warships otherwise how do we know we can indeed cross deck?

During Wasp’s four-month maintenance availability conducted earlier this year, major modifications were completed to various elements of the ship including the flight deck and combat systems equipment. These modifications included moving the flight deck’s “Tram Line,” or yellow line, which is used by pilots to guide them when performing short landings, closer to the port side of the ship. Also, the aft NATO Sea sparrow missile launcher mount was removed and replaced with a “dummy” launcher.
Were heat test conducted prior to embarking these aircraft and if so why the need for special paint? Please note these are questions and not me standing on a soap box stating so called facts. I have read references stating sea sparrow was removed to install so called test equipment, just like I have read posts stating this was not a new heat resistant paint, I have an open mind regarding both these claims and look forward to seeing the Wasp when she rejoins the fleet.