PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Mainline to recruit
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2012, 23:38
FYSTI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Variable Incidence
Philosophical too for me, for as long as guys willingly sign on for and work under lousy pay and conditions it will prevail. History shows that only when outfits can't get guys on the offered T & C's do they improve. Personally I'm not happy to support the growth of J* on it's present Ts & C's. My conscience dictates too that I cannot support a vehicle that is being used by AJ & BB to destroy what was once a great airline.
Leaving aside the moral question - that is for the individual to answer and another for another day. Be careful swallowing the "party line" that there is a large discrepancy between QF shorthaul & J* T&C. Have you verified the facts for yourself from the source documents? If you have, then you have an informed view, read no further.

If not, I'd suggest wading through the 3 EBA's for QF, JQ (rostering) & VB.

Things that you should consider is the number of days off roster (28 QF & VB- calendar JQ) 11.5 per roster for JQ & VB, 9 for QF and payments for working on days off (QF N/A, JQ clause 25.5.1,VB clause A1.2.10 ). With these additional payments & the sheer number of opportunities to gain the additional payments & the dynamic nature of shorthaul flying there is virtually no difference pay wise between the 3 groups given for the same number of days worked or hours flown in the real world for Captains.

Another thing to consider is there is absolutely nothing in QF shorthaul that prevents the company from rostering in an identical manner to JQ. JQ rostering actually has more protections in it than QF. They can't have rosters built that finish at 21:20, have two days off and start again at 05:00 - QF can, as one example.

So there are swings and roundabouts - each of the three pies is very close in size, it is just a question of how they are sliced. Days off payments significantly boost the JQ, and to a lesser degree VB pay. VB have a lower income, this is a reflection of them not working to CAO48E, and hence they need more pilots to do a fixed amount of flying - they are less productive, but have a better lifestyle, and hence are less well remunerated.

Anecdotal evidence from those that have taken the JQ commands reflects my analysis, as does Outside Limits in this thread:
Originally Posted by Outside Limits
JQ is way better than being QF short haul in perth. Way way better, same pay.
I stress again, go to the source documents and assure yourself of the facts before taking "as fact" what you hear. You may even come to the conclusion that I have it wrong, if that is the case I will happy to receive your wisdom. It is very much in the companies interest to propagate a high fear index & a divide and conqueror mentality.