PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 16th Apr 2012, 21:36
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onedollar
So when you say 'take BACC advice', read take BACC 'accept mywayorthehighway' offer, smells slightly of bully boy tactics. The slots that your company has wisely invested in comes with pilots and a loss making airline. Alot of the duplication will go, and watch the losses shrink as then it is just 29 airframes and well trained, efficient pilots.
It's not bullyboy tactics. It's the real world. The fact that you have been spun a line by your management for years on end that in some way you are attached to the slots is not IAGs problem. BA have enough aircraft at LHR to fly every one of bmis slots to 80% utilisation (the minimum require to keep a slot) without any bmi aircraft. If they run tight they can wet least aircraft to do the job. The financial, and hard, reality is that the slots are important to IAG. The aircraft, and people, they can do without if needs be.

It is rather heavy handed all of the BA chaps coming on here and saying that the bmi chaps should just take whats offered to them and be happy at that; buying bmi has given you the golden opportunity to expand and a hugely constrained airport,
BMI's slots (note SLOTS, not pilots) have offered expansion POTENTIAL. Nothing more.

but you give them a bottom of a list offer, have generously voted them onto a lower salary than yourselves and tell them that they should be thankful for a job!
They'd keep their current salary, and progress up the bmi patscale until they were overtaken by the BA payscale, at which point they'd join that. Please try to keep your facts even close to accurate. And yes, they should be thankful for a job because the alternative to an IAG purchase was a P45.

The 34 year pp will bite you, when the 34pp make up 51%, I wonder what the vote will be then when it comes to cost savings as effectively the airline has divisively broken the employee cohesion is one fell pay point swoop.
I'll worry about the BARPS/NAPS split first thank you. Although those actually in BA tend to recognise financial reality when they see it.

Arguments mooted about should a 10 year FO pushing at command support merging, well should a 12 year FO in bmi be thrilled about moving to the bottom of a 3000 pilot list? All that separates them both is a one day interview and circumstance. Good on the bmicc, I hope that they take this all of the way.
No, they shouldn't be thrilled. Should they be thrilled that they have a job instead of joining the dole queue? They are not seperated by a one day interview and circumstance, they are seperated by a decade of service to a company that is financially sound rather than a decade of service to a bankrupt entity.

I sincerely hope that this does result in a legal challenge of the archaic seniority system and then lets see where the cards fall.
It won't result in a challenge because if the current path continues the bmi pilots will not end up on any seniority list. They'll be a standalony, dying fleet representing the dying fleet they've come from. A great triumph for the bmi CC, sacrificing the career prospects of each of their FOs in favour of the impossible dream of long haul commands for their captains.

Edit:

@ look you - the BACC can't offer compromise agreements. They could propose them as a scheme which BA might approve. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you knew that.

@max nightstop - you are another one failing to understand who is doing what in this takeover. IAG have to offer nothing, or explore anything. Please get up to speed to spare the rest of us having to explain this time and time again.