PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propeller torque & engine torque
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2012, 19:38
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barit1
A Squared:

Very good breakdown of the SHP problem. I've been stung by that "factor of 12" issue before - it's egg-on-your-face big time!
Yeah, I've made that exact same mistake, publicly. That's why I was able to zero in on it.

Originally Posted by barit1
I will, however, point out 1 or 2 little items: Torque units are properly called "pound-feet" (or "pound-inches") and not "foot-pounds"; the foot-pound is a unit of energy or work.
Well, saying that it is preferable to use "pound-feet" to avoid confusion with foot-pounds of energy is certainly an *opinion* that has some merit. To say that foot-pounds is not *proper* is a bit of a stretch. You can find a long history of torque being measured in foot pounds. It ain't just something a few ignorant dumbasses do because they don't know any better.

I can't recall ever being confused about whether I was talking about torque, or work and energy

As far as "pound-inches" I have to say, I haven't ever heard that one. I do know that the torque meters on my Herc (and all the official literature associated with it) uses "inch-pounds".