PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic A330 precautionary evacuation at LGW
Old 16th Apr 2012, 16:34
snafu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airsound - thanks for the timing clarification. I must confess to having wondered about the time taken to divert back to LGW from somewhere along the south coast when there are other airports available, albeit with varying runway lengths, which is clearly going to be an issue, rather than landing asap. The previous post about the issues getting down from FL nosebleed and the (in)ability to dump fuel also explained it very nicely, so thank you.

Before anyone decides to ask about my own experience, I've got over 2000 hrs flying military support helicopters and I've had smoke in the cabin on three occasions. We're normally slightly better off than the FW community in that we have the option to put the cab down a bit quicker wherever we are if we need to, although that wasn't an option in South Armagh or Helmand, where I did continue back to Bessbrook or Bastion first!

I just wish that civvies (SLF) would realise that leadership in a high-stress, dynamic situation does occasionally require the use of a raised voice!!

Well done to the crew for getting everyone back safely...they can even use the jet again - result!