PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic A330 precautionary evacuation at LGW
Old 16th Apr 2012, 16:18
Checkboard

Received 118 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by KTF
Out of interest why do the VS 330-300 not have the facility to dump fuel? Is this for all A330 or just the VS ones?
Aircraft only only required to fit fuel jettisoning systems if it is shown that they cannot meet the missed approach climb gradient at take-off weight:

“JAR/FAR 25.1001
A fuel jettisoning system must be installed on each aeroplane unless it is shown that the aeroplane meets the climb requirements of Approach Climb gradient and Landing Climb gradient at maximum take-off weight, less the actual or computed weight of fuel necessary for a 15-minute flight comprised of a take-off, go-around, and landing at the airport of departure with the aeroplane configuration, speed, power, and thrust the same as that used in meeting the applicable take-off, approach, and landing climb performance requirements of this JAR-25.”

Originally Posted by Modburyboy
As a matter of interest, in an emergency evac, woul a crew member not go down the slide first in order to get evacuating pax off the bottom of the slide ASAP?
Love it! <Open Door>, shout "Follow me to safety!", jump down slide and leg it!

... on a serious note, when there is time, there is a procedure to get a couple of able-bodied passengers to stand at the bottom of the slide to clear it of log jams.

Originally Posted by dazdaz1
May I ask a question (slight drift, taking advantage of pilots on this thread) reading some past posts I understand that the slides double as a rafts for water emergency landings.

Would the number of slides/rafts (thinking Titanic, freezing waters) be sufficient for a full a/c pax and crew to be accommodated on them?
On a long range aircraft like this, it would be fitted with slide/rafts. On short range aircraft, they are an option - but it is quite possible that simple slides are fitted. In that case, long over-water flights need to have extra life-rafts placed on board. Yes, there are always enough places for everyone (provided they can all be deployed...)