PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS Category - ILS Performance Classification
Old 16th Apr 2012, 15:19
PeterPANOP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILS Category - ILS Performance Classification

Hello guys,

I have a question regarding the promulgation of ILS status to cockpit crew members. Currently we (ILS procedure designers at ATC) are having a discussion with our national regulator about the promulgation of the ILS status. Our regulator is asking us to stop informing the cockpit crew by means of NOTAM or on Radio Telephony about the supported ILS CAT (CAT I / II / IIIa or IIIb). We should only promulgate the current ILS Performance Classification in our AIP or by means of NOTAM in case of Performance degradation. It is a crew responsibility they say. This ILS Performance classification looks like III/E/3 of II/T/2. It is giving information about maximum system category / point of coupling auto pilot / and integrity. In some cases a runway ILS system is downgraded to II/T/1 which actually means in operations only an ILS CAT I can be flown.

My question is how familiar are aircrew from around the world with this ILS Performance Classification (coming from Annex 10 I believe)? We want to avoid discussion about the supported category on the frequency.

I know some airlines are publishing conversion tables. But it doesn't look to me like a pragmatic solution.