PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI mainline pilots made redundant?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2012, 15:09
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not getting involved in Anton et al's obsession with seniority - I couldn't be arsed to keep contributing to the other thread with people banging the same drum over and over and over again. Some people really need to wind their neck in though, as theres a huge amount of crap about employement laws being spouted from people with a clear entitlement disorder. And when 1000's of people are loosing their jobs to have people still banging on about seniority and 'me-me-me-entitlement' instead of being thankful that they may still have a job is frankly disgusting, as is blaming the company and the people therein who are the only ones willing to come to the rescue./Rant mode off

Just a short comment 'on topic' though.
Have the mainline crews at regional bases and LHR trainers been made redundant or have they had a statutory notice that their role is reduntant, but that they then will be considered in the pool of all mainline pilots for the jobs availalble - coz there's a world of difference.

I went through a similar 'consultation' at a previous airline, and also in a previous career - and alot of this stuff is statutory. Its quite clear that IAG do not have regional bases in their plans, so its obvious that all regional JOBS are now redundant. It doesn't necessarily mean that the PEOPLE currently attached to those JOBS will be out of work.

Sadly I think its inevitable with the scale of BMI's losses and the future plans that there will be less jobs up for grabs than there are mainline pilots, however I very much doubt anywhere near the clear picture has emerged yet. Lets just hope for that as many jobs as possible are salvaged as every lost job is without doubt, a personal tragedy.
But lets also not be a bunch of lib-dem-woolly-rose-tinted-anti-capitalist types. At the end of the day IAG / BA etc are not a charity, nor do they have unlimited funds, they need to keep their cost base and business viability under control too. nobody owes anyone else a living.