PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going below the minimum without visual reference to the runway
Old 16th Apr 2012, 14:00
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course its not professional to go below minima. That 50 foot extra becomes another 50 foot and ???

Having said all that on a recent sim ride at the end and for fun I was placed at Biggin Hill in cloud, given turbulence an engine failure, then an autopilot failure.

For fun the cloud base set at minima was dropped to 200 metres in fog.
Ok off somewhere else until it was announced that I now had 200ibs per side of fuel in the Citation sim.

I hand flew to the runway and a safe landing.

15 years ago I was flying a Seneca and had unforecast fog over an extensive area.
I also had a fuel selector jam. Talking to a military base who were colour code red they understood the situation of low fuel, nowhere to go and a jammed fuel selector and I got a PAR breaking out at 50 feet with 500 metres.

After that in VMC I tried a simulated zero zero landing on an ILS with a safety pilot.

Setting the radar alt at 30 feet for a flare point it was possible to land.
I also know of a ferry Kingair 350 which landed with low fuel in fog.

While I no way condone flying below minima in normal situations its nice to know you can do it if needs be. (even onto the deck) but nice to know you can is where it should stay

Flying Girl 27 its a strange post to make for your very first post here

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 16th Apr 2012 at 14:28.