PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going below the minimum without visual reference to the runway
Old 16th Apr 2012, 12:51
cldrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We all go below minimums, they are just there as a general guidance, nobody takes any notice really of the numbers. Plenty of times I can't be bothered to put my glasses on so I can't read them anyways. I have petitioned Jeppessen countless times for large print or even braille versions of the plates. They told me the last time I contacted them, that it is under considerations as they have had hundreds of requests for large print/braille versions. I know they are working on a "spoken" version as an App, to make life easier for us visually challenged drivers. Honeywell is also working on a "talking" FMS to facilitate easier inputs, especially at nights for those tricky VFR cloudbusting circling approaches below minimums. As to homemade approaches, there is a huge market for "lower minima" versions, especially in the winter months. I am always looking out for the best version available out there by fellow pilots.

I am still looking for a Samedan plate that gets me down to 50 feet, if anyone knows of one or has constructed one, PM's are welcome. In exchange, you can have my Lugano 40 feet Saturday special. That one only requires an RVR of 350, so much better then what the "official" sources publishes.

I am also still on the lookout for the 5 item emergency checklist that is doing the rounds, the factory one is just too cumbersome....