PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britannia cabin crew
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2002, 15:26
World of Tweed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fitness to Fly....

Hi Sted,

Congrats on getting through the first couple of stages!

Depending on how you view the subject of 'Fitness to Fly' you may be pleased, or not, to know that under normal circumstances you wont have to go through a medical.

However at some point during the process you'll have to fill out a medical questionaire for two reasons:

1. Its a declaration of your health and is how they (the company) assure the CAA that their new employees are fit for duty and would be capable of performing all duties required of them under normal and emergency circumstances.

2. As an inital crew member, during the summer season you'll be working long(sometimes too long) and unsocialble hours. Most people only think of how this will disrupt their social lives which is a fair point! BUT you ought to consider how this might affect your health. After five weeks of 'red-eye' highly offensive 'Night' tenerifes' will you be be on top form? Your a fairly big investment for BY they obiously want to make sure you'll be fit an healthy for the duration of the summer.

You'll probably get some form of cold/flu once you join because of the exposure to allsorts of germs (known as the public at large). And generally crew are exposed to higer levels of radiation than most because of the altitude we work at, however the risks are very low.

If your successful the recruiters will have been satisfied that your tall enough (even if they don't measure you) and the trainers will certainly get a feel for you general health and fitness on the course by way of your attendance and how you perform on the practical exercises(like opening the doors, climbing into to liferafts, swimming etc) in the first few days.

I hope this has given you some idea of what to expect re: medical requirements. I've just read it back to myself and it sounds a little scary but that wasn't my intention just thought I'd let you know the score.

Any other questions about BY or the pre-course work let me know and I'll try and answer them my year was the first to use the on-line training (very interesting !!)

Good Luck

World of Tweed

P.s If you can't swim or are a weak swimmer I'd suggest you get some lessons. You can pass the pool excersises without knowing how to swim (I know cos I saw someone do it) but I wouldn't recommend it - remember you their to help save lives.