PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 16th Apr 2012, 06:12
jibba_jabba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Shock1 & Cessna180

Lets get this straight...
Rex WILL NOT accept you if you have more than 90hrs flying training.... UNLESS you do the ENTIRE course from scratch.... either way you lose and they win. There is not much negotiation at all!!! ... in fact you may be intimidated by senior management while training..... E.g. the c.e.o stating that if he hears the word "EBA" out of anyones mouth they will be sacked..... this is the type of managment that runs this airline.

Eitherway, you could go the G.A route (which you have started) or the cadetship.

Rex aint that bad to work provided; a) you never get into any trouble with managment ever b) you dont have large financial obligations and/or family c) you dont mind being worked hard if you get a sydney base (chances are good u will get this) d) and you can live with the 7 years of contractual obligations you signed.
I would not trade my G.A experience for a cadetship even though I get to "shortcut" the hard work and struggle to achieve a goal.

And asking cadets at Wagga will get you very narrowed responses;
Two types of answers:
1) From pimply faced kids who mum/dad paid for this "job" who have never had any real world interaction with the workforce and think its awesome they "have made it" so quickly and smoothly. They no nothing about being abused by employers nor what money it takes to live in Sydney for example. They will accept anything (initially) because they dont know better. They are bright and nice kids though, its the experience that is lacking.

2) from older people who made a "career change"...... alot of these people are great, but they came from really good high paying jobs and could afford the shift over to a 46k pay (when i started it was 42k .... this is why we have an EBA..... hint hint.... stick to it!).

Cessna 180, Rex is 500multi IFR....... not just 500 multi. Night flying a plenty in winter months. also min rest a plenty too I have had very experienced instructors get rejected by Rex HR because they did not have 500 IFR multi .... they had 400hrs IFR Multi!!!!! And inexperienced cadets take his Well Deserved job...... So he went to QantasLink.... straight onto a Q400!!! Hows that for short sighted management... people are signing up for it.
You get the PICUS program but its jumping through hoops and you wont be ready for at least 4 years plus your training

Now look at the situation..... people are leaving in droves ...why..... because they are not locked into cadet contracts (G.A experience) and even cadets are leaving but you will have to do at least 3 years and fork out $$$$ if you do.
Rex is good experience and good training, but its even better if you have a G.A background IMHO.

anyways..... I hope this helps, if I were going to pay for a job (NOT RECCOMENDED) but if you were going to do that I would think long and hard about finances, location, family, rosters etc AND then would also consider other places that offer more advanced and newer a/c.......