PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air controller during emergency landing: 'I know that's BS'
Old 16th Apr 2012, 04:00
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Here we go again ...

here is another example where non-standard phraseology in the states caused confusion
I have worked for both US and UK operators and I have been involved in two situations where even the standard UK R/T phraseology was causing unnecessary confusion (in both circumstances with an Englishman as my f/o). We both were unclear about "rwy XX is CAT II only" advisory from the Tower or Director. It was so unnecessarily strangely worded that even after three queries the issue was not clarified.

While proper R/T is certainly nice, I think that this non-standard R/T accusation from Europe is very overblown; in addition to the ever returning "dual language ATC environment [shock, horror]" threads that are mainly directed at France.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. From my personal observation, most pilots in the US (with sad exceptions) are far better stick pilots than their European colleagues who heavily rely on AP use.

On a personal note, I am getting tired of this mainly "British" sport to bash foreign pilots, R/T, ATC, countries etc., whether across the channel or across the Atlantic. Can't we just all get along?