PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learning to fly at 50+
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2002, 15:12
bobdee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learning to fly at 50+

I would appreciate some general comment from all you highly experienced folk out there. I have about 30 hours now, have not yet soloed, but getting pretty close (I think). Cant help wondering and admiring all those guys who have achieved this first hurdle in ten hours or less. It seems to me that the age of the trainee has to be taken as a major factor in the equation. Could it be that when you are young, you are much easier to train because ones youth generally means that lack of experience in life allows immediate acceptance of new instructions without balancing that new instruction against past experince and the inbuilt desire for self preservation? There must be a lot of guys out there who finally get a chance to learn to fly when the family have grown up and more funds become available. Assuming you can pass the medical every year it would seem that there is no upper age limit, but I havnt heard of too many people claiming to solo in a few hours once the grey bits start to appear!