PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - WHERE TO NOW?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2012, 00:38
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here’s a radical pre-budget thought, let’s cut Sydney loose

Knowledge gap ... Alan Joyce has wondered if Qantas once found its own oil. Illustration: John Shakespeare
Qantas's chief executive, Alan Joyce, helped narrow the location for Sydney's second airport on Friday before the launch of the airline's first flight powered by cooking oil (or at least a portion of it).
Asked where he thought the best location was for the second airport, on top of the dozen or so already picked around the Cumberland Plain since 1946, Joyce declared: ''Sydney.''
Present at the cooking-oil-powered flight event was Shell's chairwoman in Australia, Ann Pickard, who once had the honour of mention in a diplomatic cable leaked by WikiLeaks. Pickard was keen to emphasise that the oil company had been supplying the Flying Kangaroo for 85 years. But she added: ''I'm not sure what happened for the first seven years.'' (Qantas was founded in 1920.)

From there, Joyce said: ''All I can suggest for the first seven years, Ann, is that I know our pioneers were very entrepreneurial. And I know the first seven years we built our own aircraft but I didn't know they drilled for oil at the same time.'

Read more: Joyce hits on new way to cut costs
Always looking for an angle, AJ has discovered Qantas was founded in 1920.. he has been in the seat for just over 3 years, sort of puts a perspective on his tenure... short termism personified..

Oops I forgot, Agree 73-91 loved Ben's piece too

The other day Anthony Albanese officiated at the opening of the world’s slowest most inefficiently delivered motorway upgrade in history, at the duplication of the M5 from near Campbelltown to the M7 Junction. It took three years to go about seven kilometres. First the RTA built, make that hand crafted with a man with a shovel and ten supervisors, the two extra lanes, then ripped up the other two lanes. It plonked a pedestrian overpass over the freeway that took so long from the first foundations to the first graffiti upon opening that an entire generation was born and graduating from pre-school before it was finished.
The previous Labor Premier of NSW, Kristina Keneally, spent so long getting her name spelled right in the newspapers in her short tenure in the post that she lost oversight of the Sydney-Inner West metro line, and set a record for spending at least $500 million on a project for which not a single metre of tunnel and rail was dug or laid.
Sydney Airport? Just cut Sydney loose and get on with life | Plane Talking
Appears, it's tough for everyone out there in aviation land.. it just gets harder and harder for the operational staff, ... no one at the top seem to know what they are doing, but its costing the taxpayers, then, in some cases, their jobs.... private or government organisations. I call it "Infrastructure mismatch management" feels like a plague of it may be imminent.

Last edited by TIMA9X; 16th Apr 2012 at 15:20. Reason: incomplete forgot ad-on