PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2012, 00:07
aussiepride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CX CPP Summary

G'day Everyone,
I’m usually not one to post; but after reading the 4000 odd posts on this forum, for over the past few weeks I felt inclined to say something. First to people who are considering the programme- read the entire forum. It is well worth the time taken (think of it as an investment if you are serious about applying for a cadetship) - there is a lot of useful information and tips (a lot of crap as well- but hey it’s a forum). The forum covers most things from interview questions, stages, pay, conditions, both pros and cons of the programme, as well as covering CX aircraft, engines etc.

If anyone does have any quick questions IRT (in regards to) the programme feel free to PM myself and I will try to pass on what I know. From what I have read on here and in multiple other books/websites etc the programme can be a good way for a young single person who is willing to live similar to what can only be described as a "uni student" life style. (No such thing as an easy way into any business- the glamour and glory will come later on in life once you has earned it. For now live up the single life.) As an SO it will be what you make of it. Having been in the Army for 5 yrs and having lived in my fair share of s#!t box rooms I can only say- meet some mates get out and enjoy the experience- it's usually how the best stories are made.

The people expecting to walk into a career earning top dollar need to look at all the other trades/professions out there - their all in the same basket- You have to work hard to get to the top. There are many streams into the Aviation business and all of which require sacrifice, commitment and a lot of hard work and persistence- most of all however you need DISCIPLINE. Don’t procrastinate! Get out there and be active- find your local flying school (get involved- even if you can’t afford to fly, talk to people (its free!!)- after all the business is usually its not what you know but who), read the latest aviation magazines/newspapers - find out what’s going on in the world and build that situational awareness, go to air shows make some contacts. Finally I know we all would but please please refrain from trying to pawn your self out and fly for free. It really does bring down the entire monetary value of the aviation business and makes earning a decent wage rather difficult- after all flying commercially both rotary and fixed is a complex skill and rather an elitist group- lets keep it that way and be paid accordingly for our knowledge and skill.

Thanks again for everyone’s valuable comments and wish everyone all the best in their decision.

Stay Golden Pony Boys!