PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2012, 00:05
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR NDB
With Pan Am the issue was pilots lacking certain piloting skills continuing to fly. The culture of the airline allowed for these individuals to be passed by their check captains who either ignored the signs or were ignored. Pan Am also had a casual attitude to training and some information was outdated. This is a very brief summary but it was a cultural issue.
Air France may have also developed a similar lack of attention - the recent series of incidents does point that way and the Safety Audit also highlights issues in this direction. If this is so it would be unlikely that an interface change will have the effect you desire (and there is no indication that the current A330 interface is necessarily deficient). That is not to argue that things cannot be improved - far from it but it is important to locate the reason for the accident accurately and given the information we have we do not need to move beyond the crew in this case.
Machinbird
A wish state is a situation that you want to be a certain way. A wish list is a series of items you want to have. The latter is often achievable but the former is not. The term wish state indicates a desire that reality were not the way it is. I hope this helps. We all wish the flight crew of AF447 had been able to handle the situation they found themselves in adequately but they were not. Where the evidence points is that this was due to the flight crew and not the machine. Those suggesting that the machine was to some extent the cause of the situation are in a wish state. A panacea has to be understood in the context of a universal solution - as you note that does not exist. The side stick works - some pilots don't like it, some do. Some prefer the yoke but remember the yoke will not necessarily guarantee safety. Given that this is the case then one cannot criticize the side stick on the grounds it is less safe. One can say I prefer the yoke because it has this factor which is important for me but that is all. The important point here, I feel, is this - it frequently comes down to the flight crew and how they are trained. Well trained and aware flight crew following procedures should be able to deal with almost any situation they could encounter. This is what seems to have been lacking in this situation.