PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI mainline pilots made redundant?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2012, 16:40
JazzyKex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I am suggesting is that if the current decisions being made about who is in potentially in line for redundancy is not what the members expect, want or wish to stomach then it is for them to suggest a different course of action through their union.

The employers do not care if employees 1, 2, 3 or 25, 3255 and 1 go as long as the cost base the reductions require are carried out. They want it done the most simple way within the law.

The employees may wish a more complex system...voluntary redundancy of high earners? To offset compulsory redundancy of more lower earners? These solutions are to be brought to the table by the union.

As for who goes...the arguments for LIFO... You pay your money you take your choice. I worked for 10 years in other airlines before joining BA. I gave up my command elsewhere to be an FO again with the associated pay cut. To be in a company with greater future prospects and more potential job security. Those were my choices. Career choices we all have to make. For some they are more at the whim of fate than others, however life is not always fair....

If you can come up with a better, transparent system, not subject to personal judgements or the whim of an assessor to line up employees for redundancy then please go ahead.

Last in first out is simple. I know where I am on the list. No amount of sucking up to a manager, being in with the training department or going out of the way to be a company man can change that position.

I'd hope (as has happened in the recent past) as colleagues faced with compulsory redundancy we do all we can to avoid all of them rather than feed people to the wolves. Eventually though there comes a point where they still need to be fed...now who do you choose to sacrifice? The new joiner with 15 years in a pointy jet in their past or the 16 year FO on the verge of their first command? You write the letter to the families and explain why one deserves the boot rather than the other?