PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2012, 03:50
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OC
One can argue that if things have been different in design or warning features then the accident would haven't have happened. Unfortunately this is what I would characterise as a wish state.
Nothing wrong with a "wish list" to prevent the next accident. You just might get the wished for item in time to save your posterior.

Other accidents have demonstrated that where these features were present they didn't necessarily prevent an accident.
I'm not sure this is valid. What about the accidents that were prevented because of "these features"? Did anyone keep a record? Sort of like saying the new stop light didn't prevent having another accident at the intersection. Perhaps the circumstances are different.?

The question why comes down to the people flying the aircraft and their background. To try and evade that and attribute the accident to a machine fault is to my mind dangerous as it assumes that we can further design the pilot out of the loop.
When all else fails, it is the people flying whose job it is to prevent accidents. Sometimes they fail too.

Have you ever been taken in by a con man? This happens through mis-direction. You are looking for a problem in one direction, and it sneaks in through the opposite direction. Not very different from aviation actually.