PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air controller during emergency landing: 'I know that's BS'
Old 14th Apr 2012, 21:52
no sig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've also long wondered where the US preference for the use of 'emergency' comes from rather than the use of ICAO standard MAYDAY or PAN PAN, phraseology. Reference to the US FAA Airmans Information Manual, Pilot/Controller Glossary explains this. Included is the glossary is the word in bold italics, "EMERGENCY− A distress or an urgency condition'',

In document preface we find-

PURPOSE

a. This Glossary was compiled to promote a common understanding of the terms used in the Air Traffic Control system. It includes those terms which are intended for pilot/controller communications. Those terms most frequently used in pilot/controller communications are printed in bold italics. The definitions are primarily defined in an operational sense applicable to both users and operators of the National Airspace System. Use of the Glossary will preclude any misunderstandings concerning the system’s design, function, and purpose.

b. Because of the international nature of flying, terms used in the Lexicon, published by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), are included when they differ from FAA definitions. These terms are followed by “[ICAO].” For the reader’s convenience, there are also cross references to related terms in other parts of the Glossary and to other documents, such as the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM).

under MAYDAY-

MAYDAY− The international radiotelephony distress signal. When repeated three times, it indicates imminent and grave danger and that immediate assistance is requested.

So the FAA AIM includes the term 'emergency' for use in indicating a distress or urgency situation. So where I agree MAYDAY/PAN PAN is a much better way of communicating your situation, the FAA chooses to differ with ICAO and use Emergency over the ICAO standard. However, I can't help but think 'Emergency' should be repeated three times to preface the distress/urgency. call.

So, where we (non-US types) consider their use of the term 'emergency' non-standard, it is approved phrasology in the US system.

Last edited by no sig; 14th Apr 2012 at 22:03.