PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Five Years Ago
Thread: Five Years Ago
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2012, 19:33
SRENNAPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Five Years Ago

Five years ago tomorrow I left the Royal Air Force after a 29 years and 76 days career. I often look back on why I left and whether I made the right decision. I know why I left, but whether I made the right decision I will never know. I left for two reasons; the first is very private but the second is quite frankly because we left Germany. I honestly think that if any RAF Station had remained in Germany, I would have overcome my private reasons and I would still be in today.

Do I regret leaving? That is a definite Yes and No. Yes I regret leaving because I miss the people, the banter, the excitement, the aircraft, the pi$$ ups and of course the going into work and not knowing what the day might bring. No, I don’t regret leaving because I don’t miss the changes I saw over the years and the changes that I knew were coming in the future. I certainly don’t miss the Political Correctness in so many things that crept in and brainwashed so many people. I don’t think I need to list them as I am sure that you know what I mean.

What do I think of Civvie street? Well Civvie street is a very interesting place……to start off with it really is like the adverts on TV. Now, don’t get me wrong, I landed on my feet in Civvie street. I work with some fantastic people and in a great environment. I work for a rather large organisation who to be honest are good, but at the end of the day when it comes to crunch, one minute they tell you that you are their most valuable asset and the next day you are just a number with the risk of being made redundant. I am one of the lucky ones; I have survived two redundancy campaigns in the last five years.

The most interesting thing about Civvie street is that so many managers think they are leaders. They read a couple of books, do a few courses and they honestly believe they have cracked it. But when it comes down to it, they can’t really talk to people at all levels. They can tell people to do a job and they can tell them the most efficient way of doing things, but they can’t sniff a problem with an individual and they cannot communicate in a way that natural leaders do. When I compare (most) OC Sqns with some Project Managers (multi pound projects) most PMs fall very short indeed. To be honest, in my opinion, true leadership is a rare quality in Civvie street.

In nearly 30 years of serving in the Royal Air Force I have no idea of how many people I have met. Arguably 300 ish new people every three years and all the rest that you meet around the station, on detachment and around the world. I am still in contact with so many people. That is an attribute I think that makes me understand and appreciate so much more about people of this planet.

In my opinion, anybody who serves in the RAF (or the Army and Navy) is very lucky that they experience something that most people in a normal life don’t.

If I could turn the clock back I would not change a single aspect of my career. It moulded my life and made me a better person, but better still it moulded my wife and two daughters who appreciate everything about living.

To all those still serving, good luck and enjoy & treasure every moment.

Thank you Royal Air Force.