PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA seeks to raise Airline Pilot Standards
Old 14th Apr 2012, 18:21
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HotDog – The Reverend
British slang: Noun for Idiot, fool. Originally a slang term for the penis but fairly inoffensive now its this meaning has been forgotten.
Strange what a useless disagreement can produce?
Hmm… much as I thought … thanks (again) for the information … and you are most assuredly correct … it IS strange what a useless disagreement can produce! It reminds me of some research of the phenomenon known as “cognitive bias” conducted by 2 chaps, Justin Kruger and David Dunning, at Cornell University some time ago, demonstrating that unskilled persons sometimes suffer from “illusory superiority," often mistaking their ability/knowledge to be much higher than it actually is, and, as a result, causing them to be unable to recognize their own mistakes. Sometimes I wonder if attempting to provide additional or newer information to those who believe they already know all there is to know on a given subject is worth the time and energy it takes to break through that "I-know-it-all-now" or the "you-can't-provide-me-any-additional-facts-that-will-be-useful" kinds of attitudes. In that same light, Dunning/Kruger quoted Charles Darwin as having said "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
Originally Posted by le Pingouin
And here is the official direct from the FAA link that I used: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publi...bs/AIM/aim.pdf
Search for FAR 91 & FAR Part 135. Then look again at the HTML version.
FAR is common parlance in aviation circles, including the FAA - why would you latch onto the first acronym you found on Google that was clearly irrelevant and think/insist it was correct? God alone knows what you'd make of CRM.... Hint: it's not the first result Google throws up.
Geeze … I'm sure you are aware that you are citing a 729 page document that uses a specific term a total of 3 times – twice using reproduced “flight plan forms,” both of which are clearly 1982 forms, and once using an advisory circular discussing icing issues for part 135 operators, an advisory circular that was published in 1981.

Please, sir, if you are comfortable in relying on this kind of verification for your position, be my guest to continue doing so, as I suspect that the FAA police will not show up on your doorstep with an arrest warrant for “improper use of terms.” While I know of only a few in the FAA who regularly continue to use the term “FAR,” and none who adamantly continue to do so, I am not able to concur with your statement that it’s use is “common parlance” within the FAA. However, I do think it best to no longer point out to you what I believe to be an outdated term. Additionally, if it matters, you have my apology for your having to read my efforts to bring this issue to the attention of the other readers on this forum.

Last edited by AirRabbit; 14th Apr 2012 at 18:33.