PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 12th Dec 2002, 11:38
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Training: an idiot-proof helo, or a basic and difficult one?

This was touched on recently in another thread, and also discussed at the SRG helicopter seminar last month, but I thought it was worth a thread of its own....

Most of us learn to fly R22s, said to be the most difficult helicopter to fly. It could mean we become better pilots. It could also mean that there are more accidents in training and among low hours pilots than there would be on a more forgiving machine.

Piston engine failures are most often caused by carb icing. Perhaps it would be possible to fly with permanent carb heat, or some other foolproof method. Or are we better off developing an understanding and awareness of the problem from the start, even though it means a certain number of accidents happen.

Most of us now learn to fly on helicopters with governors. As a result we're probably less rotor RPM aware than pilots who have to operate a throttle from the start. But it makes training much easier. A good thing, or not?

There must be other examples, but I can't think of them now. Anyway, I'm sure you get my point. So what does everyone think?