PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight Down near Kincardine, Clackmannanshire
Old 14th Apr 2012, 09:01
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
They were all rather qualified in flying terms. And they were all legal for jumping in and having a go solo.

But this whole thing of power on the foot, push to flare instead of pull and no rudder really is a recipey for a change of pants and multiple approaches and your bag of luck getting emptied.
Before microlight differences training became mandatory (although it seems to have slipped back to "recommended" again for most pilots) we used to see at-least one perfectly serviceable microlight aeroplane a year destroyed in the UK by experienced and well qualified pilots who didn't think they needed training.

Personally I have no trouble jumping between the flexwings and light aeroplanes, any more than I do between a car and a bicycle; I find them so different there's no real issue. But I did get properly trained for each, not try and make it up as I went along. There is nothing intuitive about either if you've not done it before, and the first half dozen hours I had in a flexwing regularly scared the willies out of me.

Now however, I actually find jumping between 3-axis microlights and light aeroplanes more difficult and potentially dangerous, because the controls are basically the same, but all of the speeds and attitudes are quite different.

G