PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should EASA be allowed to monopolise licencing in Europe?
Old 14th Apr 2012, 08:01
WestWind1950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To continue this logic of building walls, the EU pilots would be the ones getting screwed the most if the FAA came up with these nonsense regs or went further and said only US citizens could get FAA licenses or fly N reg aircraft.
FrankR, this has NOTHING to do with citizenship! The only citizenship problem is having to be a citizen to own an aircraft, no matter what country it is registered in. The FAA only allow US citizens to own their aircraft, as you must be an EU citizen to own an EU aircraft.... so no difference. What's wrong with that? And this odd method of having a "trust" owning it... I don't trust trusts.

I'm an American citizen, living in Europe for over 40 yrs now and follow the rules where I live! I could "own" a N-reg aircraft if I wanted, but I couldn't own a D-reg. It's the law, big deal. I accept it.

Much has been said on this subject already but I will only add that it's perfectly normal for a country to want the aircraft flying in their airspace to confer to their rules. The whole thing is about where the aircraft "operator" is based and where the aircraft is stationed. When I first arrived in Germany years ago, I had only one year to change my car drivers licence to a German one. So, why SHOULDN'T that be required of aircraft as well? Even the FAA says that when flying/operating with N-regs in other countries you are to adhere to the rules of that country (sorry, can't find the §§ at the moment, but it's in the FAR'S).

I think some of you are really going overboard with your attitude. All walks of life have restrictions, rules, laws, etc. and sometimes we just must adhere to them. With the EASA rules we all were given the opportunity to comment and give our 2-cents worth to the process, a very unusual deal! If you didn't take advantage of it, then shut up! If you didn't know about.... well, all the flying press was full of info over the past years and the already existing organisations did their best to act in all of our interests.

But, there were 27 countries to put under one system... everyone wanting THEIR rules in the law. NOT an easy task (and no, I am not with EASA! I've just followed the process). You win some, you lose some.... that's life!

So, I had to finally get that all out of my system.... sorry 'bout that folks.