PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2012, 06:34
t43562

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Operating cost?

I don't know anything about any of this so my question should be seen purely as one arising from reading this discussion:

It has been said that operations with a catapult are about a great combination of all the elements. Lots of training is needed and crews need to remain current. I was reading about the pre deployment training of one of the US carriers recently and it seemed very extensive. Could this be the cost that's making people pause for thought? i.e. a very large fixed cost that cannot ever be put aside?

In the computing world I see lots of systems of great capability and cheap unit cost whose running cost is moderate but which don't run well unless you maintain about 10 very expensive people to look after them and those people have to stay on the system to maintain their knowledge. The system has to be running continuously for them to be able to do this. The company could buy simple, crappier software and much more expensive hardware to run it and be able to put those skilled people to use in generating new revenue.

I know this isn't the same but I am wondering if there is any similarity. Is the B something that is expensive to buy and fly but doesn't need such large and continuously commited and trained group of people to be effective?