PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big bang in Swindon area
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2012, 02:13
synsei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is delicate because I am a pragmatic bloke and always look for a logical explanation for this kind of thing, but I also run a UFO forum which is usually an instant conversation killer on forums such as this

As you can probably imagine there has been a lot of interest in this incident on my forum. I found out about the incident very shortly after it happened, perhaps as little as 15 mins after actually, so I monitored all the news sites as a result and then the BBC posted a story which suggested that it was a minor earth tremor. Shortly thereafter the story was updated with a quote from the British Geological Survey which stated that there had been a minor earthquake (3.6 on the Richter scale) with its epicentre being in west Coventry. This story was again updated about 30mins later with a statement from the United States Geological Survey which confirmed the BGS statement, according to the BBC. It was about this time that the story reporting the Typhoon incident first popped up on the BBC News website. Very shortly after the Typhoon story appeared, the Coventry earthquake story disappeared to be replaced by an archived quake story from 2008 which reported on a minor earthquake with an epicentre in Herefordshire.

In the meantime I had posted links to all these articles on my forum as the story developed. Weirdly, the first link to the original BBC Coventry earthquake story was redirected by the BBC to the 2008 archived Herefordshire article at some point. This was picked up by one of my members who understandably asked if I had perhaps mistakenly picked it up from the BBC News archives. This was not the case and to prove it I directed him to the BBC News site where the link was still trending at No7 on their most read articles list (at this point the Typhoon story was sitting at No1 in the list). This prompts the reasonable question: Why would a historical earthquake article from 2008 appear in this list?

As I continued to research the story reports began to come in about an unusual silvery, white object seen manoeuvring in the sky above Bath and the two Typhoons and the helo. According to one witness, a single Typhoon broke away from his wingman and the helo and proceeded to climb up to intercept the silver object. Until this point the object had been hanging motionless in a vertical orientation, but shortly after the Typhoon arrived on the scene to investigate, the object promptly moved to a horizontal attitude and shot away in an easterly direction, stopped, and then shot upwards disappearing from view into the clouds. There are several other witnesses who concur with this description of events.

Make of this what you will. I went from believing it to be a story about a minor earthquake, to having to consider it may well be a story about two Typhoon fighters going hell for leather cross country, to wondering if in fact both incidents had occurred simultaneously (the timings of both events were identical in both stories after all: 18:06), to having reports flood in of an unusual silvery/white object manoeuvring in the skies above Bath.

As you can probably imagine the phrase 'Cover Up' is being bandied about all over the place in the UFO community just now. Me, I'm confused and somewhat suspicious about the shenanigans that occurred on the BBC News website whilst I was watching the story develop, which admittedly isn't helping me get to the bottom of what actually happened.

In conclusion, I think that the Typhoon story is likely to be true, that they were scrambled to investigate a bogey over Bath. I also think that once they arrived on scene, one or both of the pilots spotted the silver object floating high above and a decision was made for one of them to investigate this additional target whilst the other dealt with the bogey helo. What happened after that is anybodies guess, but a damning question remains: Why did the BBC initially report the Mysterious Bangs incident as an earthquake, and why were the BGS and USGS brought into it?