PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Man-machine interface and anomalies
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2012, 19:14
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, hmm, either you are a machine. Or communicating in a much more different way than most.

I trust that your (twin) journeys will be forever safe and comfortable.

Ha! Rio. Hmmm, well I DID put the point across and got only one attack. felt like I was trying to move a mountain. Lost also my instructor to policy. I always remember what I see. As - ahh, yes, rest easy - it is a safety bred industry - safety this, safety that . . the higher we get authority, the greater WHACK! we have with safety and the more we can influence things to get safer and safer and safer. It always works, some people think you are telling them that their fly is undone - put them on the one out of Rio they will soon forget their embarrasment. Happily, most , no, all pilots, don`t trust Jack Diddly, which is why they check the b--cks out of everything they use and everything they do, confirming this, and that. keeping each other in a kind of working communicative loop, called, the loop.

Statistically - flying is safer than riding a bicycle.

Also, Captains need balls. To be able to enforce their authority and safety policies, they trust nothing and no-one, lest they (their flights) are "safe" which is why thousands, but, thousands of flights every day are flown without hiccup.

Also, Security don`t like terrorists one little bit.

Ground Crew are also safety orientated. Hope Brasil was not one of your family.
Don`t remind me- I saw it on TV. No way will circumstances get me in that situation.

If it helps, we study a lot of . . incidents to find out what went wrong, so as we can make sure it won`t happen to us. Is is a lifelong . . .quest for ever greater safety Ask any of the pilots on here . . they will tell you the same thing. Happy landings.
======================================

Added the next day - No, Rio was due to them wandering off into the rainforests and there were survivors.

I was referring to this one -

Here is a clip from youtube - courtesy of youtube.com etc., this is the one I meant, of which I think zero survived, extremely not good. (If I remember rightly), the pilots glided away from all the built up areas and landed it in a wood.

Situation, if I remember it, was . . .coming from Brazil, they encountered unforecast headwinds depleting their fuel, then their destination was socked in with bad weather, thus slowing down the number of aircraft landing there for they had to stack up all the aircraft, in like a vertical waiting queue, if you like, everyone is at a different level, (altitude), as each aircraft lands, the next one up in the queue is told to commence an approach and the one above him or her is descended to the next level down in the stack - one can jump the queue in an emergency - Avianca here - as you can hear have told ATC that to hang around is hardly an option and the rest . . well, its on the tape. I dont think they were stacked up I think they were just trying to get what they could out of the approach. There are times when we should be able to beat our way out of a paper bag. sometimes, it actually does pay to declare an emergency (whereby the controller will give you any cleared runway you want) its all fine and dandy being cool calm and collected, serene and reflective, this has to be trainined, or we would all be screaming because they got the wrong colour ice cream in the inflight catering meal, but somtimes it pays, to return to "proverbial has hit the fan = actions stations! And cooly and calmly and swiftly race with the devil to put rubber to tarmac, prontissimo!!

Poignant, for want of a better word. there are other tapes on the dialogue, giving a fuller lead up to this disaster.

Seems to be drifiting away from Interface and spreading across to lack of go juice.

N.B. It was Columbia not Brasil

THREAD - this is more about my fuel thread the other day, inadvertant thread spread.

Avianca Flight 52 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 14th Apr 2012 at 15:24.