PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 13th Apr 2012, 13:11
JazzyKex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea Anton.

I'm only repeating second hand information, but it seems that all BA want are line pilots so all those with training qualifications or management will be returned to the line.

It seems BA/IAG want all this sorted before any merger final date so redundancies come from BMI not BA.

The bypassing of LIFO for BMI staff is an interesting move but apparently all within TUPE legislation. Im no expert at all but another reading of TUPE apparently says If things are economically unviable, technically incompatible or operationally to the detriment of the new company there seems to be get out clauses for BA/IAG if they can prove that to be the case.

Regional bases are not part of BA's operation so could be in there, Embraers and A330's are technically incompatible and would require additional costs to bring to BA and economically maintaining the loss making BMI operation is not justifiable without wholesale changes. Who knows where they intend to wield the axe next?

This is all news to me but hearing how ruthlessly BA/IAG managment are implementing it makes me think they have a very clear plan that they are following through. I can't imagine they have done that without having it legally watertight. It's pretty shocking stuff and I fear for friends I have who are in BMI.

I hope the BMICC have some plans to somehow form a palatable outcome with a minimum of trauma. I think they'll have their work cut out but fingers firmly crossed for you all in BMI mainline, regional and baby.