PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1954 search for two missing RAF Canberra bombers en-route Momote to Kwajalein
Old 13th Apr 2012, 12:40
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
1954 search for two missing RAF Canberra bombers en-route Momote to Kwajalein

It is drawing a long bow by placing this post in Australian D&G Forum but maybe those ex RAAF types over the age of 80 would be interested.

In 1954 a RAF Canberra disappeared after departing Momote airstrip Manus Island for the 1400nm across ocean trip to the US base at Kwajalein 200 miles south of Bikini Atoll where atomic tests were planned. Although extensive searches were conducted by US aircraft and RAAF Lincolns from Townsville, there was no trace of the Canberra. A replacement Canberra arrived in Momote and that too disappeared en-route to Kwajalein. Lincolns from Townsville were again involved in the search.

That Canberra was eventually found by US searchers, having successfully ditched in Bigatyelang Lagoon, Ailinglap Atoll 115 miles south-east of Kwajalein. The crew were unhurt. The story of the two missing RAF Canberra bombers has now been published and called "Sniffing and Bottling: 1323 Flight and its Successors." by David Forster and available for only $7 plus postage through Self Publishing and Book Printing Solutions - Books, EBooks, Photo books and Calendars at Lulu.com

The subject was discussed in Rumours and News a few months ago although I cannot find the date.

As a Lincoln pilot I was involved in both searches for the two missing Canberra bombers and recently talked to our crew navigator (who is now 86 and was later a navigator with Qantas on Super-Connies) about the events of those days. For that reason I thought there may be other old RAAF aircrew still alive who were on those searches and who may read Pprune. (I said it was drawing a long bow!)

The book by David Forster is incredibly cheap for 175 pages of sheer adventure as he has been able to interview over the years some of the RAF aircrew and ground staff who supported the Atomic Bomb projects and based at Kwajalein.
The Mods may decide to shift this to another forum but as the RAAF aircrew concerned if still around are probably still in Australia I thought the Australian forum would be appropriate