PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions? - without Notice.
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2012, 03:49
alphacentauri

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't defend/nor explain the GPWS warnings. I can only say that they don't happen all the time.

I can defend the approach, because I was involved in the ATSB review of the approach from an independent view point. The approach was compliant with the criteria of time and was given the seal of approval. There was nothing wrong with it and there was never anything found in the investigation to point at it being unsafe.

That's really all I have to offer you.

I am defending the approach because numerous times since the accident people have got on here beating the war drums trying to blame everything on the approach. Alot of times these people are far from informed on approach design and verification involved in publishing one. Maybe they pick on the approach because its the only thing they can pick on, and feel qualified to comment on. To persue other avenues means enevitably concentrating on the cockpit environment.

But we dare not point the finger at those who cannot defend themselves.

And its that point that keeps these questions coming back. The argument seems to be that there has to be some reason, other than the aircrew, for this accident to occur.

Does there? Really? What if there isn't?