PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Airport 'may not cope during Olympics'
Old 12th Apr 2012, 17:46
rgsaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
davidjohnson6 -

Well, it may just be for three weeks for you, but for the majority of people who live and work in London it's for a very great deal longer! Include the paralympics for a start!

Already large numbers of London businesses are being "encouraged" to get their employees to "work from home" for the duration - that will be really good for productivity! Recent news stories have highlighted the enormous disruption to businesses close to the "exclusion zone" which will effectively be shut down by the restrictions on access for the majority of normal trading hours. Many think they won't survive!

Add to that the fact that many central London businesses which depend on tourism have such a downturn in advance bookings for the summer that they are shutting down; include many London theatres in this.

I live in (outer) London, and I won't be going anywhere near my usual "haunts" for the duration, and taking my spending elsewhere. Hardly good for the "recovery"! And believe me, I'm not alone!

The problem with all this is that the politicos HAVE to talk it up. Men who ride tiger can never dismount. This ones going to bite them!