PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO
Thread: EFATO
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2012, 17:33
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
But I think there's a lesson here for pilots and instructors regardless. ALWAYS FLY THE AEROPLANE! If you haven't got the stick and rudder stuff right, nothing else matters. Only when the aeroplane is stable and under control should anything else be even considered. Checklists have their place, but YOU MUST FLY THE AEROPLANE as the number one consideration, regardless of any checklist or procedure. And last of all comes the radio.

The old addage 'aviate, navigate, communicate in that order' was never more true.

Says it all, really.

A stall during an EFATO when properly trimmed has to be induced by the pilot pulling back, allowing speed to bleed off. From my limited experience flying C172/PA-28, the amount of pulling back to cause such a stall has to be fairly significant and not easily missed. Is it easier to miss this sign than I realise, or does panic simply cause pilots to miss this important warning sign?
well, it depends on the exact type and configuration. Also, if you see the ground rushing up at you the _tendency_ is to pull back to avoid it. Sometimes called groundrush (or panic, if you prefer)