PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worrying Application for a DropZone SW of Popham
Old 12th Apr 2012, 16:13
hugh flung_dung

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Like many of those who've commented, I'm fully in support of all types of air sport ... but this proposal would introduce an unacceptable danger to those taking part and to other users of the sky.
This is a very busy patch of sky with a mix of gliders, light aircraft, and microlights squeezing past the Northern end of the Solent zone. Add-in a mix of military aircraft of various types (mostly rotary these days), the various civil flight schools in the area, the odd maintenance flight into Lasham, and the Solent arrivals and departures and it's hard to think of a worse place to propose a DZ. Also, having experience of the way parachute aircraft are sometimes flown, I think the Popham pilot residents may not be too pleased should this come to pass - the local non-pilots will certainly not appreciate the extra noise.

I will be writing to the proposer, the CAA, and if necessary my MP.

HFD
(Who has considerable personal experience of flying and gliding around the area as an instructor and examiner)