PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take your shoes off - Aviation security
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2002, 00:34
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 157 Likes on 50 Posts
I can only but agree. This thing is completley out of control.Lets go really stupid for a second. As a captain, I walk completley naked thru security, have a full body search, cavity search and Xrays. If I wanted too, I can still "hijack" my own aircraft if I felt like it. I feel however, that all of us want to go home to our wife/kids/lover/mistress/whatever/ at the end of the day. At the moment, at the airport I fly out of, as a crew member you are subject to more checks than the pax are!!!!!!!!!!!! This is just mad. We go thru profile checks just to get the job in the first place, and are subject to more checks than anyone else I can think of for the rest of our flying life. Of course the way to "calm it down" is to start refusing to be checked. No check...no pass into terminal...no pass into terminal=no crew in aircraft=no crew in aircraft=no depature. I am not saying lets go for anachy (spelling?), there has to be some checks, but things at the moment are way above a normal limit. And another thought, the cleaners on your aircraft prior to depature, what checks have they gone thru? At certain airports in Europe, I suggest the answer would scare you.!!!

On a final note, today my Purser (who I have flown with for over 10 years) set the metal dector off twice. The secuirity people, after patting her down, then wanted her to go into a cubicle to take off her skirt, At this point I stopped it , and told them not to worry, as the crew would not be boarding the aircraft. A phone call to ops to explain this, produced some very interesting responses. We did in the end, get on the aircraft, with my pursers dignity in tact, and I cant remember being hijacked in flight!!!!!!!!!!

My point to all this....keep a "even strain" and do not let Osama and his mates cause our lives to get out of control, and dont let people with inflated ideas do the same!!!

Rant over