PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worrying Application for a DropZone SW of Popham
Old 12th Apr 2012, 15:04
Nibbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
many of the comments that have been posted I think are done so without proper knowledge of how the operation works.
Fair play, although you should be aware I and others here do have first hand practical experience working with such operations.

Now as good pilots anyone in the area will be monitoring the frequency as they pass so they too can communicate with the dropzone and the pilot to lease with each other.
100% reliable communication between the DZ and the Parachute aircraft has not been the case in my experience. What about aircraft with no radio and the need for 2 radios so an aircraft can continue with the service they are receiving. I'd suggest this option is not gong to be available to a significant number of aircraft.

it shows that he is at least trying to please as many people as possible.
'Pleasing people' is not the issue. Without beginning to address the local needs of Middle Wallop, Chilbolton or Thruxton if this gap were closed then the options left for routing through the area will inevitably mean a large number aircraft transiting through a very narrow gap between controlled and prohibited airspace, much of it opposite direction with limited vertical space. Given the orientation of the route the season, time of day and atmospheric conditions often result in poor visibility, significantly impacting on one or other pilot's ability to see and avoid.