PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A breath of fresh air at last. One pilots view of CRM
Old 12th Apr 2012, 14:59
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CC - "Captain, there are flames coming out of the left engine"

Captain - "Leave me in peace, I'm very busy dealing with a right engine fire"

CC inputs are often valid and experience has sadly shown that ignoring them, especially in high pressure situations, is a mistake that is only identified when its too late.
I think the example quoted is too extreme to be a valid point - although I realise you may be just joking.

The statistics indicate that since CRM's advent something has substantially improved safety. It may have been CRM. It probably was to be fair only part of the solution, since numerous other things were being worked on in the same timescale - such as improved avionics, engine reliability, maintenance procedures, and so-on.
Ghengis thought that CRM has improved flight safety in that there have been fewer accidents since the term was first invented. Could be - although I think technical advances such as EGPWS, improvements in airborne weather radar, reliable and amazingly accurate automation and improvements in ATC have been the real key. I question the suggestion that CRM has played any significant part in reduction of accidents. Personalities in the cockpit rarely change their spots. If they are autocratic - they remain that way all their professional lives - in my experience. Subordinates might speak up more but that is more generational than empowered by CRM lectures.

And another thing. I have yet to see a company policy that lays out exactly how a first officer will take over control from a stubborn press-on-regardless captain when things are really getting out of hand. Few captains will cower in terror if the first officer announces "I have control" when an approach becomes unstable and the captain decides to continue the approach instead of going around.

While company manuals theoretically give authority for the second in command to take over control if the captain ignores the rules, they offer no advice as to the physical acts recommended such as smash the captain over the knuckles with a head set or arm wrestle over the the autothrottles. I do know of one enterprising F/O who grabbed the crash axe and threatened to smite the captain during an IFR descent towards hills below the MSA. That life saving act cost the first officer his future command with that company. Yet all he did was use the one CRM tool at his disposal

Last edited by A37575; 12th Apr 2012 at 15:11.