PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for controllers - Wx avoidance
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2012, 12:13
Finals19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for controllers - Wx avoidance

Hi,

No doubt this has been asked before (and I am sure there is official regulatory material somewhere on the issue) but I'd like some advice from controllers on Wx avoidance.

Let's say that I am departing / arriving XYZ regional airport in the UK (lets say EDI) on ABC1 SID or STAR. Its a convective wx day with numerous cells around. Understandably this increases the controller workload in a major way, since most arrivals and departures will be asking for revised headings to avoid cells.

My current heading has me on track to penetrate a cell and I am doing my best to get my radio call in to request a heading change. However, due to frequency congestion I am unable to do so. My choices are (therefore) to continue on my cleared heading or revise my heading take avoiding action.

I understand the serious implications of changing heading without clearance. This needs to be balanced with the inherent risk of penetrating a thunderstorm cell. The only way I could think that one may be able to cover oneself legally is to squawk 7700?

Has this ever happened and what is the general opinion of the controller fraternity on such an issue?

Thanks for the feedback