PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worrying Application for a DropZone SW of Popham
Old 12th Apr 2012, 12:03
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
I hear what you say Barefoot, but that really is not the impression given.

This "well educated man" has produced an incredibly weak consultation document, that is far less than it needs to be. To pick just two obvious weaknesses: (1) he hasn't used aeronautical charts, and (2) there are numerous local flying organisations not being consulted. Compare his document to the much larger and more robust document produced by Cranfield over a very uncontentious instrument approach onto 03.

He clearly hasn't consulted with people who know that flying area well - since anybody who does (and I've been flying in that area for about 20 years) can see various places that a DZ could be placed at no nuisance to anybody. For example along the south edge of D127, or the NE corner of D126.

But in a location that is already a chokepoint for local traffic, and there is a great deal of non-radio non-transponder traffic (microlights from Chilbolton and Popham, gliders from Lasham and Rivar Hill, traffic from half a dozen very nearby farmstrips), and a great deal of student traffic (Apaches from Wallop, UAS from Boscombe, GA from Thruxton, microlights from Popham, gliders from Lasham)... And traffic that may be talking to Southampton, Bournemouth, Boscombe, Popham, Thruxton, Safetycom, microlight general frequency - all in the same airspace....

There's also no actual evidence of either Popham or Hinton's agreement to the involvement he's stated they'll have in the operation, and that makes me somewhat suspicious.

He'll get I'm sure a lot of intelligent comment from many sources - this thread and discussions elsewhere have ensured that everybody in that area now knows about it and will be commenting. Almost certainly however there will be a near-unanimous rejection of the proposal.

The problem then however is that he's shot himself in the foot. He will probably get helpful and intelligent suggestions and offers of advice, and if he has any sense he will use them. The problem however is that this "consultation" gives the strong impression that he's a dangerous idiot, and he will probably now have to work for years to get rid of that impression.

Hopefully he'll succeed in doing so, and in establishing a location that is safe and sensible, and the co-operation of the local flying organisations. But, he's got a fair bit of work to do now to undo the damage he's done to himself so far.

G