PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worrying Application for a DropZone SW of Popham
Old 12th Apr 2012, 11:25
Barefoot Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want to through my 2 cents worth in. As an ATPL holder with coming on 3000 hours, and experience with flying skydivers, many of the comments that have been posted I think are done so without proper knowledge of how the operation works.

To say that there is no see and avoid is rediculous. On every aircraft is a jump master that observes the DZ prior to drop to ensure there are no aircraft in the area. In addition to that there is a DZ controller that is on the ground in constant communication with the aircraft that also will not approve the drop until the area is clear.

Now as good pilots anyone in the area will be monitoring the frequency as they pass so they too can communicate with the dropzone and the pilot to lease with each other. Now with good airmanship either the jump aircraft can hold to let an aircraft pass or an aircraft can hold to allow a drop. Very simple!

I have information on this dropzone and there is not two landing sites only one. The reason for two sites is that due to controlled airspace higher up. The DZ has to be seperated at an altitude as to keep clear of the class A higher up.

This "one man band" is not some cowboy that fancies a go at business he is a highly experienced skydiver and a well educated man. Second to that, hes a nice guy which is why he is inviting all comments to be sent to him. It is impossible to please everyone but if he is willing to communicate with any parties concerned it shows that he is at least trying to please as many people as possible.

There is never a good place to start an operation like this as there is always going to be someone that objects. For the business to be viable it needs good access and transport so cannot be placed in the middle of nowhere.

London Tandem Skydive is exactly what it says it is "Tandem Skydiving" this means there are no rookies jumping out of aeroplanes. These guys know what they are doing and are very aware of the general aviation around them.

I wish him luck and encourage everyone to email him with your concerns rather than post here and speculate as to what may be going on