PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - too old?
Thread: too old?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2012, 10:52
magicmick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi VK

You should not just be asking whether or not you are too old, you should be asking whether or not you have the finances to fund the training, support yourself (and family) during training and can live with the risk that you could lose that money and never fly for a living.

If you do not have the cash available without taking out a loan then please don’t get into huge debt with your (or someone else’s) property as security to finance your training.

Do you have a wife/ partner and kids to support? If so does your wife/ partner accept the risk of spending a 5 (or 6) figure sum of money with the risk that you might not land a flying job?

Do you have a ‘Plan B’ if the flying job does not happen immediately? At least you will be able to bring money in and provide for yourself/ family while hunting for the flying job.

I did my flying training later in life, having been an avionics engineer in the military before doing the flying training. I am fortunate enough to be married to a wonderful woman who is an enthusiastic as I am about me flying for a living. I used money that we already had to finance the training and I am back in a well paid engineering job at the moment while looking for a flying job.

Not all doom and gloom but some very serious matters for you to consider.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.