PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 12th Apr 2012, 10:41
overstress

PPRuNe Person

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Benip: to address some of your points hopefully in the spirit of discussion rather than confrontation, I think rather than a short-term view, the BACC are looking to the future. If they were truly short-term, they would not have recommended a £10m package of cuts to their members with a view to retaining integration.

If BMI pilots were to join at the bottom of the list they would retain their current salary under TUPE until their service in BA meant that they had caught up with the payscale. The BACC had little choice over the 34-point pay scale given the pressures that retirement legislation has made on our agreements and indeed the whole industry.

You will not have your noses rubbed in anything by BA pilots, we are all looking forward to the new opportunities and everyone is far too busy for that kind of thing, it simply won't happen. You will get a smile and a handshake I can assure you.

No-one stays at the bottom of the MSL for long, expansion will continue and with it progression. Even at the bottom, stability is nearly 100% and trips can be swapped electronically to improve lifestyle.

If the BMICC felt that the BACC displayed 'hardened' attitudes, perhaps they may have pondered why - probably a reflection on their battle-hardened state!

IAG/BA are tough employers and the BACC have to be ahead of the game readying themselves for the future challenges facing us.

I will stay away from 'zipped seniority' except to say that BA would never go for it as it would hugely increase their costs at a time when they have to turn loss-making BMI to profit within 2 years - the BACC would never be able to persuade BA to go for zipping even if it supported it.

I hope this helps to explain our viewpoint.

I imagine that there will be many BMI pilots with loads of unanswered questions - people concerned about basings, nightstops, tours, commuting, A330s and much more. Those in the regions/baby must be very concerned as well. I hope you get your answers soon.