PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - too old?
Thread: too old?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2012, 10:20
mack 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel I need to add my story here, however I must say you are not too old although you may limit your options.I began my training when I was 35 years old, I completed my training just before 9 11 need I say any more about that. I had been offered a job just prior to that and unsurprisingly that did not come to fruition. I then had an offer with EU Jet (remember them) they went bust when I was waiting for a starting date. As you have guessed a number of years had passed by now. At the age of 40 I had an assessment with a very good carrier (my dream job) and I was successful, I then had an interview and again was successful. I had to then pass a flight simulator check on a 737. I beforehand spent 4 hrs on this to aid my chances, there were 2 places and only 7 left at this point. The assessor after the sim check said that ‘should there be any concerns about my flying ability they can be put to rest’. The jobs mine I thought, I received the phone call ‘sorry you failed the sim check’. I asked for feed back as I wished to apply again for any vacancies and would appreciate any assistance in improving my abilities. I was told that I was a little slow in moving my hand off the throttles at V1. Considering I do not have a type rating and have only flown piston engines where you keep your hand on the throttles to prevent vibration bringing them back, they should have been pleased that I even knew to do this. I was very pleasant and thanked them for their constructive advice. THE PERTINANT PART I knew an ex training Captain from the company who informed me that the only reason that I was not offered a job was that they were concerned about my age. Apparently statistically a person over 40 takes a week longer to train! The fact that as I was that age with a family I was less likely to job hope to another company had nothing to do with it. I am no longer pursuing a flying career (one less competitor for you) I am fortunate enough to have a secure job with a good pension unlike many pilots. I still love all aircraft and can’t help but run to a window to look out at any passing craft. I do not regret all the time effort and money, I just should have done so younger although then I did not have the money. Do have a go but please be realistic many carriers will not take you on. I am aware that there is age discrimination (waste of time) they will just find another reason to give you. They may think you have a big nose, a bad haircut or smell they wont tell you that either.