PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Holmes and Erebus
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2012, 06:16
framer

Received 487 Likes on 131 Posts
Righto, we are probably getting a little off track here. Wouldn't want the mods to close it because it was not on subject. With that in mind I'l comment on 'safety culture' as it applies to Erebus.
I'm in an interesting spot because I squarely believe that Collins held responsibility for separating the aircraft from terrain and holds some responsibility for pressing on with achieving the task at the expense of the aircrafts safety (ie his primary responsibility), yet I imagine the 'safety culture' at Air NZ at the time was lacking due to poor leadership from management.
In my mind the whole thing is like a text book example of how all the holes line up and also of how the pilots are usually the very last layer of defence. As Captain of an airliner you are given extraordinary powers and authority while airborne and there is a reason for that. You are the last defence, your primary duty is the safe return of the aircraft to the ground and that must outweigh everything else.
Brian you say that if it was another crew on that day the outcome would have been the same. Although I share many of your views about aircraft safety I don't believe that for a second. I think with those exact circumstances, the same weather, the same lack of VHF reception, most Captains would have held onto the protection of their MSA (and remained within SOP's) while they contemplated their next move and formulated a plan of action, and in that time VHF reception would have come good and all would have become clear. I hold nothing against Collins, I just think that if another Captain was rostered for that flight the outcome would have been different.That is just my personal opinion, but I believe it to be true.
Just because I have said that Collins holds that responsibility does not mean I don't think others a free of responsibility.