PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Holmes and Erebus
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2012, 05:31
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The proof of the pudding is I'm still here, so clearly I do know something about safety
Not necessarily. One does not automatically lead to the other.
The fallacy of the Appeal to Authority
If I have a tumour I seek the skills of a qualified medical practitioner, not the perspective of an informed (and opinionated) ex patient. Same on the subject of safety, I seek the opinion of people recognised within the industry as those to go to. Once again, not the perspective of an informed (and opinionated) airline passenger.

Although having spent my entire working life putting bread on the table via sitting in a cockpit I don't hold myself to be an expert by any means. But maybe, just maybe, a little more informed than an informed (and opinionated) airline passenger.
my "mumbo jumbo" refers to the jargon
Every industry or trade has its jargon. I can't understand anything the kids of today say.
you feel the need to tell me I don't know anything about anything
Go back and read it again. I said, "demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the subject to hand". To whit, the formal subject of safety as applied to aviation and industry.
clearly I am scratching a sore point.
Not at all, though I am amused at your presumptions.

framer commented, "Your view (Ornis) would have been well recieved in 1970." He refers to you being stuck in a period where the blame culture was rampant. I'm afraid you seem to have travelling companions in ampan and prospector. I say seem.

framer, the blame culture is still alive and well. The worlds largest multi national boasts "worlds best practice" when it comes to safety. When an event takes place however, everyone runs for cover with pointed fingers. Usually at the guy with his hand on the tiller, despite a Royal Commission finding in one fatal accident that usual suspects were to hand - superficial auditing, lack of attention to major hazards, failure to learn from previous experience, failure to respond to clear warning signs, communication problems and a lack of training. In fact end of last year the local branch was slapped with four citations by the regulator for safety deficiencies. The buck rules. Some never learn.
you sound like a parrot
When people are stuck in the dark ages, such as a belief in the blame culture, someone has to parrot the message.
we are saying our goodbyes
Goodbye